You are in the right place to know how to speak clearly. All leaders are clear speakers only because they learn and practice the art of speaking. Also, influential people learn to be persuasive to give crystal clear answers even when hit by challenging questions. Hence it is okay for you not to speak clearly and understand it over time. One of the crucial parts of leadership coaching is to learn to be persuasive and speak clearly. You and many like you think that they say fast or in high pitch or use too many words. Hence there is no need to be hard on yourself as clear speaking is complicated, and even great speakers have stammered in communicating during difficult situations.
So, check out how leadership coaching can help you know how to speak clearly, along with eight tips to do it easily.
What is leadership coaching?
Though there is debate about leadership being inherited or learned, researchers confirm leaders are mostly made than born. Also, to be continuously successful, they need to know more new things to inspire others to be collocative and increase their productivity. Here, leadership coaching plays a vital part in developing competencies and talents for individuals to be more effective. Apart from learning various leadership styles and business coaching, they also learn many communication skills to speak clearly. It helps them be confident empowers them to have fresh perspectives for enhanced performance. This is what makes business leadership coaching so comprehensive.
Why is it challenging to speak clearly?
Speaking or communicating even in everyday situations needs translation of thoughts into words, proper breathing, intonation, and grammar apart from speaking concisely. And for those speaking in English, which is not their native language is more challenging. Find out how to speak more clearly is, thankfully, not difficult. However, how to speak clearly and concisely is an entirely different art. Adding emotions and desires for having a successful outcome makes it a daunting task. Also, English is not a sound to symbol language as there is no one letter representing one sound and one sound described by one letter. Hence pronouncing each word for non-native English speakers is tough. But no need for you to worry as the following tips will help you know how to speak clearly in English or any language.
Top tips for speaking clearly
- Practice is the best way to speak clearly even in high-stake situations as even great leaders of the past and present continuously practice speaking as per the situation demands.
- Take leadership coaching to develop many leadership skills and the best communication skills to speak clearly.
- While sharing innovative ideas at meetings, speak authoritatively but without being aggressive or upspeak but adding warmth and style to the speech.
- It is vital to understand that being unable to speak is only your problem, as if all others are doing it with ease, but it is only by continuous practice and coaching.
- Be relaxed, confident, and concise to speak with pauses rather than filler words and use varied intonation patterns.
- Concentrate on breathing as it is a vital tool for communication. It is better to use abdominal breathing while speaking with pauses to take another breath in and for the audience to give time for processing the speech.
- Having the proper posture is vital whether giving a speech standing or sitting as it conveys the confidence levels and the authoritativeness on the topic.
- Speak in a full resonant voice by relaxing the vocal cords in the throat and start speaking with a smile and continue it with proper eye contact with the audience, correct movements and gestures
The best leadership coaching will teach you how to speak apart from the above tips and more to succeed in personal and professional life. An entire class may not be necessary. A business coach might fit the bill just fine.